[alberg30] Re: Boom Gallows

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at cyberus.ca
Tue Jan 19 16:01:28 PST 1999

From: Jack Vanderloo <jvdloo at cyberus.ca>

Q.
Can anyone give a good reason for not doing this upgrade. What is the
down side of boom gallows on an A30

A.
IMHO, and my fellow Ottawa River Alberger's endeavours notwithstanding,
it totally destroys the lines - the graceful sheer, the low freeboard,
the forceful counter - of the boat, i.e., among the very reasons for
which I bought my Alberg in the first instance.

My enduring motto, "Life's too short to buy an ugly sailboat" would be
compromised immediately I erected a boom gallows anywhere other than as
an unobstrusive SS structure (just barely higher than my dodger and just
ahead of it) AND then only if I were to even contemplate crossing the
Atlantic, etc.!  Then again, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Only real functionality suited to the environment in which I did the
majority of my sailing, would ever entice me to dicker with those lovely
A30 lines.

I'm with George Dinwiddie on this one re. the topping lift/traveller
combo.  In the extreme, I would consider a rigid (but adjustable) SS
vang.  I gather they can be had quite reasonably (at least to our
American cousins) from Garhauers, Los Angeles way.

Cheers

Jack Vanderloo
KC 641