[alberg30] cooling systems

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campuscw.net
Tue Jul 6 11:50:09 PDT 1999

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>

Greg,
    For the overall well being of your engine I believe it would be best to
install a thermostat.  You will want to be sure to get the proper one for the
type of water (salt or fresh) which you sail in. I seem to recall that  salt
water requires a cooler
one than does fresh water. Maybe someone can confirm this.
    On you question about the wear of the impeller with a closed thermostat ... I
believe this not to be a problem in that even when the thermostat is closed ,
your fresh water pump impeller is turning in water. The thermostat only keeps the
water from entering the block ... I hope I have explained this ok.

Tom S
A-30  #412

PS ... I do not have an A-4 in my Alberg but did have one in the Catalina 30 I
previously owned.

greg vandenberg wrote:

> From: greg vandenberg <fashionguy at mailhost.kal.ameritech.net>
>
> I have what may be a silly question about cooling systems, impellers and
> thermostats. I have an Atomic 4 that has no thermostat and is a direct fresh
> water system. I've been tempted to install a thermostat to correct what I have
> thought was poor fuel combustion due to the fact that the A4 was running too
> cold. I have corrected it to some extent by reducing the flow at the seacock.
> My question guys is this... If I slow the flow of water that the impeller
> wants to draw from the intake am I prematurely going to wear out the impeller?
> And secondly if I put in a thermostat which will hold up the flow entirely
> while the engine is coming up to temperature am I prematurely wearing out my
> impeller. Am I missing something here or just thinking to hard?
>
> Happy 4th- Greg

> How has ONElist changed your life?
> Share your story with us at http://www.onelist.com

Campaign 2000 is here!
http://www.onelist.com
Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist.  See our homepage.