[alberg30] cooling systems

Tue Jul 6 15:44:22 PDT 1999

Greg,

If you have too low a water flow, you may damage both the impeller
and the exhaust.  I've seen Vetus waterlift mufflers that were
burned to a crisp by lack of water.

There are "new style" and "old style" atomic 4's and the cooling
water setup is a little different on the two.  The "new style"
has a Holley double-acting thermostat mounted on top of the
cylinder head.  This thermostat allows the same amount of water
to pass all the time, but changes the ratio that is forced
down into the head to that which passes directly to the
exhaust manifold.  The "old style" has an external thermostat
that mounts on the exhaust manifold outlet and allows more or
less water to bypass the engine block completely.

The "new style" should not be run without a thermostat, I'm
told.  I currently have an "old style" head and run all the
water through the block, resulting in a cold engine in the
spring and fall.  In the summer, on the Chesapeake Bay, it
doesn't seem to matter.

In any event, you want to control the ratio of cooling water
cooling the engine and the water that bypasses the engine.
You don't want to throttle the flow of water.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/