[alberg30] Sails

Chester & Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Tue Jul 13 18:27:49 PDT 1999

From: "Chester & Jan Koop" <cjk at tir.com>

I had a fully batten main made for Tangaroa by Kent Sails of Mt. Clemens,
Michigan approx. 6 yrs.  Back then (1993), the cost difference between a
tradition main and a fully batten one was about $350.00.   So far it has
worked well for me.  No flogging when tacking or heading up to drop or raise
the sail nor is there any fluttering of the roach when beating to windward
in heavy winds.  They hold their shape when going downwind. Initially  I had
a problem with the sail binding-up whenever the main was doused.  This was
cause by the old style slides twisting and jamming on the sail track as the
leech tension was released during the dousing process. There was no such
problem when hoisting the main.

In an effort to remedy the problem (on the cheap I might add), I installed
the Flying Dutchman bat cars (approx. $400.00), a system designed supposedly
to work in conjunction with these older slides and tracks.  While this
arrangement was somewhat of an improvement, the main continued to bind-up
about half-way down the mast.  After spending 2 years trying to make this
system to work properly (and failing), it was pitched, and replaced with
Harken Bat Cars and track three seasons .

Althought this was somewhat of an expensive proposition ($1,300.00 for
track, 5 batten cars, 5 intermediate cars, and head board cars) it has
worked out very well.  The ball bearing cars run very smoothly resulting in
the ability to hoist the main fully  without the use of a winch (except for
setting the correct luff tension). Look out thought when it comes down --
its like greased lighting.  Hosing down the cars with fresh water once a
season is the only maintenance I've had to do so far.

If you plan to have a new fully battened main made, don't let the sail-maker
get  carried away with adding too much roach (as builders of racing sails
are wont to do with fully battened mains).  This was done by Kent and
resulted in the aft end of three battens getting hung-up in the backstay
when tacking.  It had to be re-cut and the excess roach removed.

Chet Koop
Tangaroa #445

Congratulations MilitaryEFM. Our latest ONElist of the week.
http://www.onelist.com
How is ONElist changing YOUR life? Visit our homepage and let us know!