[alberg30] Rigging tension, etc.

lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jun 8 07:39:49 PDT 1999

From: lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca

In the latest issue of _Good Old Boat_ magazine
there is a complete guide to the steps involved in
setting up standing rigging.  On my Tanzer 26 I
used the following steps- 1)attach backstay, lift
mast, attach forestay. 2) Eyeball
mast from base, looking up to see if straight and
go ashore somewhere and look at boat to see if all
is straight from front & side. 3)Attach lowers hand
tight.  4)Tighten fore & aft stays & cap shrouds
several turns with a screwdriver, moving from front
to back & side to side after each turn.
5)Eyeball mast again to see if straight, adjust.
6) Go sailing with a large jib in less than 10 knots
of wind.  Observe sag in forestay (when beating)and
on cap & lowers when reaching. Tighten until no sag
is visible on forestay, but slight on cap & side.
Tighten leeward turnbuckles as you change tacks until
things look ok. There should be some sag when the
wind picks up, and if expecting stronger winds you
can always tighten things up a bit and then loosen
off. The mast should be straight, and the spreaders
should form equal angles with the cap shrouds.
Bob Lincoln
#590 -almost in the water.