[alberg30] A-4

Thu Jun 24 09:13:23 PDT 1999

Hard to start and easy to kill is about an non-specific as you
can get in engine symptoms.  I'd start with the standard checks.

First, look at the engine.  Does anything look out of place?
Make sure all the wires are firmly connected.  Also make sure
you have gas.

If there's nothing obvious, you need to determine if you're
getting spark and you're getting gas.  The spark is easiest
to check.  Pull a spark plug wire and uncover the terminal.
You can set it near the block or near the top of the spark
plug.  Turn the engine over with the ignition switch.  Do
you see a nice strong spark?

Checking gas is a little more work.  On a car, I might disconnect
the center distributor wire and turn the engine over a few
times; then pull a plug and smell for gas.  I'm a bit more
careful about gas fumes on the boat.

Do you have a fuel filter?  I've had problems due to a clogged
filter.  You can also check the filter for water.  If you
don't have a filter, I recommend getting one.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/