[alberg30] mast-step repair

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campuscw.net
Tue Jun 1 09:58:57 PDT 1999

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>

Joe ... I felt the same way as you when I first removed mine and after
thinking about it I concluded there is no real need to hold the mast Plate
down , the mast and rigging will serve this purpose. I have decided the main
thing these six screws need to do is to prevent the step from moving
laterally. I believe these bolts  protruding through the bottom of the plate
serve as spikes , and when they were set in wet glass , as I believe they were
, they can serve this purpose well while cutting down on the potential for
leaks.

I did think it necessary to repair the threads in the plate due to the
reaction of the aluminum to the SS screws. I elected to Helicoil them using SS
threaded inserts. In fact I did all ten holes in the mast plate. the deck on
#412 was in remarkably good shape so I can't speak to the rest of your
project.

2) After removing the mast-step plate I noticed that the six screws in this