[alberg30] mast-step repair

Miabarchet at aol.com Miabarchet at aol.com
Tue Jun 1 18:48:05 PDT 1999

From: Miabarchet at aol.com

JOE:   I had a similar problem of a wet core caused the bolts for the forward
hatch hinges and a hole through the deck for the mast wiring. the damp area
was apprx. 1 sq. ft.. I removed the wet core with some tools I made up
resembeling long thin screwdrivers with the tip bent down 90 Deg. and
sharpened. I opened the deck under the hinge plates and I opened the wiring
hole to about 1 1/2 '' Dia. This allowed greater access to the core. After
pulling out all the damp core until I reached solid  I used the tool to
scrape the uppper and lower surfaces of the deck clean. After  further drying
 with a heat gun I filled the entire area with West epoxy , high density
filler and chopped fiberglass mat. I also epoxied stainless steel back up
plates under the hinge area on the liner and redrilled for the hinge bolts
(now thru solid glass & epoxy) . The hinges covered the deck opening
completely hiding the repair. Better than new. For the wiring hole I epoxied
in a 1/2'' ID. bronze pipe (nipple) with a 1 1/2'' flange to cover the
damaged area. The nipple extends approx. 3/4'' above the deck with male
threads.When I store for the winter I remove the wires and screw on a cap.

This was about 7 years ago and I haven't had a problem since. I don't recall
If the area if the area under the mast step plate had the same problem, but I
do recall removing the plate. I also felt the 6 machine bolts threaded into
the fiberglass were not very strong method of attachment. Again I don't rcall
the exact sizes -

I made bronze threaded inserts ,5/8 -11 external threads with internal
threads to match  the original bolts.I drilled and tapped the deck for the
5/8 -11  inserts which were epoxied in place.
     I hope the helps .
                                 Jim Allocco
                                 #565 Barchetta Mia