[alberg30] water tank

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Tue Jun 8 06:23:55 PDT 1999

From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>

I am interested in hearing the story on early hulls as well. When I had the
forward interior apart for refinishing, I did not see a way to put in an
access port without seriously pulling out glassed in plywood, but I'm sure
someone smarter than me has figured this out.

Meanwhile, Shawn, if you have a particular problem with water quality, I'd
suggest backflushing with a few hundred gallons of water, emptying it out
totally, then adding a cup of baking soda when you refill the tank, letting
it sit there for a week and finally  massively flushing again. Then install
a good, activated charcoal filter. Unless you have a dead frog in there,
this should do the trick. Calliope had foul, brown colored water that had
been sitting in the tank for years, I think, because the prior owner was
very elderly and did not use the boat, but cuold not bear to give it up.
Anyway, the above treatment and addition of a filter cured the problem
totally.

Good luck,

Tom F.