[alberg30] Universal Atomic Four

David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 18 17:05:18 PDT 1999

From: David Swanson <zira at mindspring.com>

John (& others) -

Some Atomic 4s need a coil with the resistor, some without.  If you need one
with a resistor, and get one without, it will last a while, then die.  As in
the initial post, it will usually work again when it cools down, but will die
eventually.  Been there, done that.  If you go the other way, you will get weak
or no spark - it should be obvious (but I haven't tried it).

If there is writing on the coil, take it in to NAPA or where ever.  If not,
look for a resistor in the ignition wiring.  If there is a resistor there, get
a coil without one;  if there is no resistor in the wiring, get one with a
resistor.

My 1967 needed a coil with a resistor.  The NAPA guy gave me one without a
resistor.  It also had odd terminals on top.  The one I have now came from a
no-name parts store in Beaufort, NC in the middle of a four-day cruise, and has
worked fine ever since.  It cost a whopping $12.