[alberg30] towing canoes

John Bailey jebailey at freeway.net
Fri Jun 25 05:28:58 PDT 1999

From: "John Bailey" <jebailey at freeway.net>

Sanders,

Finally, a subject this new sailor knows something about.  Although I am
completely new to sailing, I am a British Canoe Union instructor and I would
have doubts about the use of a canoe for use as a tender if it is towed.
Most canoes would not be designed to travel as fast as most sailboats.  The
canoes that are designed for that type speed are for racing and are hard to
sit in let alone carry anything.  The combination of wind, wave action and
moving too fast through the water would certainly produce continuous
problems.  I would think the only time a canoe might tow would be if you had
calm conditions and you were motoring no more than 3-4 knots.

I would disagree with Mr.. Birch concerning getting in and out of a canoe.
Although it would take some practice, I believe it could be done by most
relatively agile people.  If the canoe, or kayak, were to be stowed on deck,
I can't think of a better way of getting around.  I have a hard time
picturing how a canoe of any size would fit well on the deck of an Alberg
30, however, I fully intend to strap on a couple of sea kayaks for traveling
purposes.

Other than the towing, I would think it is a great idea.