[alberg30] (no subject)

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA
Wed Jun 30 07:45:36 PDT 1999

From: "Bob Lincoln" <lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA>

To M. Sanders,
My experience with the rudderpost stuffing box this June was similar
to Sunstone. I originally repacked the rudder box ashore.  Once on
the water I could see water running down behind the propeller shaft
and I thought I had another leak.  A closer look found the water
coming in from the rudder tube stuffing box, higher up.  Once the
rudder stuffing box nuts were snugged down more the leaking ended.
The previous repair had been accomplished by coiling the packing,
instead of cutting it, and the nuts had also worked loose.  You can
cut the packing by wrapping several turns of around the shaft, then
slicing it on the diagonal.  Use a strong sharp knife; flax is very
tough.  The faulty repair probably explains the new electric bilge
pump, and the water in the bilge.  I have some drips from the prop
shaft box, but I'll wait until I'm out of the water to do that one.
Bob Lincoln

Find people who care about what you care about.
http://www.onelist.com
At ONElist:  your connection to community.