[alberg30] Re: (no subject)

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 11:46:02 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Tom, Exactly right.  The top shroud passes slightly aft of the center of the
spreader, at the mast.  I call this slightly raked.  My spreaders are oak, and
receive at least 3 coats of Flecto varathane, with the uv filter, every
spring.  After a little wet sanding, of course. I take my mast down each fall,
the better to inspect, and maintain the spreaders.  I would do the same if
they were alloy.  This is also a great time to remove the main halyard shive
in the mast.  It needs an ocasional clean-up, and oiling of the pin to keep it
free.  At least in fresh water.  I would expect the same in a salt water area.
I also check mast track screws and any thing else I can.  I've seen boats with
the mast up for years.  (Albergs) but I wouldn't want to sail on one in bad
weather.  I think some people have a very casual approach to matainance.  Too
bad for the boats they own.