[alberg30] mast step organizer

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 12:56:08 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Subj:	maststep line organizer idea
Date:	3/17/99
To:	Alberg30 at onelist

Hi Friends,
  We all put some thought into mastep line organizers recently, and after
seeing a mast step on  a european boat, I got an idea.
  Suppose we use the bolts that hold the mast step plate in place to retain
tangs, that we could then bend up, and attach blocks to?
  If all one wanted was to lead the halyards aft, then one tang each side, for
jib and main, would suffice.  If one wanted to lead the reefing lines aft as
well, as I do eventualy because it works great, then either more tangs, or
tangs with multiple holes could be used. Yes, Greg, then we would have to deal
with the potential chafe on the doghouse for-edge, but with fairleads, we
could manage it. :)
  Rona wondered if the bolts would be strong enough to stand the load of a
main halyard or reefing line. I think so. Could always join tangs from
different bolts in a 'v' to spread the load.
  What do the rigging experts and engineers think?
  Thx,
   Lee Trachtenberg
   Stargazer #255