[alberg30] slab reefing

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 10:15:33 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Russ,
Slab reefing is the greatest. Because we have so few bales on the end of the
standard A30 boom, a vestige of wanting to keep the area 'clean' for the old
roller furling, I'm sure, things can get pretty messy back there if you have a
block for each leach line of each slab reef. I like to keep both lines rigged;
1st and second reef, so your not stuck dangling from the end of the boom
trying to reeve the second reef.  I attached a fiddle block back there that
handles both leach reefing lines. It's a little neater.
I also made wooden fairleads with a very flat, boom hugging profile to carry
the reefing lines forward to the for end of the boom, rather than use the
standard SS fairleads. Getting caught in the side of the head with one of
those protruding SS fairleads really hurts!!
Take care,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255