[alberg30] In search of a neat boom

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 09:49:50 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi George,
Saw your comments about the boom getting crowded with the outhaul and two
reefs running forward. Same here.
I have THOUGHT about installing on the boom the fairleads that are made for
internal halyards on the mast.  A set aft where the lines would go in, and a
set forward where the lines would come out of the boom to a winch or cleat.
We would have to stagger the position of the fairleads in a for and aft
direction, so you wouldn't have three holes right on top of eachother,
weakening the boom.  It would mean a lot of drilling, and fishing lines
through the boom without getting them all twisted and tangled on eachother,
but, it would be neat when done. Shouldn't be too expensive if we do the work
ourselves, certainly cheaper than a new boom. And if, in some emergency which
I can't forsee, you had to use the old roller furling gear again, there would
be nothing on the boom to hurt the sail. Wachathink?
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255