[alberg30] Re: Hand Rails

Jacques Guerette jguerett at nortelnetworks.com
Thu Mar 25 06:28:41 PST 1999

From: "Jacques Guerette" <jguerett at nortelnetworks.com>

Bill,
I completely removed my handrails a year ago.  It was pretty
straightforward.  On my boat (#604), the screw heads were on the outside
(yes, they are bolted).  I drilled out the bungs on both interior and
exterior rails to facilitate removal.  I don't know if you necessarily need
to go to this length.  At the time, I didn't know how the rails were
fastened.

You should also label your hand rails - port, starboard, inside, outside -
to make reassembly easier.  I didn't do this and had to struggle a bit to
line up screws holes.  Undoubtedly a rookie mistake!

Upon reassembly, I reversed the screws and bolts in case I want to pull them
in the future.  In theory, I should be able to drill out the bungs in the
main cabin and unscrew from there without necessarily disturbing or drilling
on the outside.  I also used bedding compound on the outside rails to
prevent leaks.

Jacques