[alberg30] Yves Gélinas, A talented man from a talented family.

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Sun Mar 28 12:36:54 PST 1999

I'm enclosing the attachment from CBC Newsworld about Yves father.

I spoke to Yves last year at the Great Lakes Alberg Association dinner
about his preparations to Jean-du-sud for the circumnavigation.   Yves
had hoped to make a "roll proof" rig for the boat and so when he was in
France he had a new, heavier section made with a larger cross section.
He had double spreaders fitted and went with 9/32 wire, 1 size up from
the standard 1/4 standing rig.

In hindsight he felt the added weight contributed to the cabin top/deck
compression problems he reported in the film after the first knockdown.
The lower chain plate bolts sheered from the knees in the roll over
which resulted in the dismasting.

Although Chichester's Gypsy Moth did not lose her rig after she was
360ed,  it was more likely luck than anything else that kept the rig up.

I consulted with Norseman Marine in Fla. when up grading our rig as to
whether I could create a reasonably "roll proof" rig for Sunstone.
Their response was that it would degrade the vessel's weatherlyness so
much with excess top hamper that the problem would simply shift
elsewhere, like being unable to claw off a lee shore.   The hydrodynamic
forces are not clearly understood, but are immense and it really depends
on circumstance (sails up or not) and pure luck as to whether she comes
up avec or sans rig.   The weakest link in the chain so to speak.

These comments are by no means derogatory of Yves' fantastic trip or of
the wonderful film.   He is a first rate sailor and person.

It is simply unlikely a "roll proof" rig can be produced but this should
not deter upgrading, overbuilding or maintenance.  And yes the
chainplate bolts on the A-30 are a scandal and should be upgraded to
5/16 shanked bolts or larger, just an oversight in an otherwise robust
rig.

Did any one notice Yves had filled in the propellor aperature and
changed the rudder?   He also sealed the forepeak locker to act as a
collision bulkhead although he now has an outboard to get him in and out
of harbours.

The Cape Horn is a pilot we're actively considering, if anyone knows of
someone who has used it I'd like to hear their opinions, certainly the
quality and price are good.

Fair winds,

J B, Sunstone KC-65