[alberg30] Re: Fish Finders

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Tue Mar 2 00:30:03 PST 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Bill:

I looked into installing an Interphase Probe which has a forward looking
feature up to 1200 ft parallel to the water's surface depending on the
depth.   Just the thing for spotting semisubmerged objects like lost
deck cargo offshore.  It even got a favourable review in Practical
Sailor, but mondo big bucks $1100CDN.  Like every thing electronic the
price and quality in time will doubtless go in opposite directions to
our benefit.  However as with all fish finders it has a lousy
hydrodynamic profile as they're designed for "toad boaters" with their
big engines who doubtless think of drag as something "confused" men do.

Therefore the trick, if you can find one, is to get a low drag head for
the finder as you can't oil bath a fish finder.  Certainly a market
would exist for a forward looking finder and/or side scan ultra low
profile head, but to my knowledge none exist.

Good luck in your search and let us know if you find such a beast.

Fair winds,

J Birch