[alberg30] Re: Access

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 08:44:27 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Jaques,
  Re; your request about info on access through the cockpit lockers to the
stuffing box and engine.
  When I bought Stargazer she had just such an access hole cut in the stbd
cockpit locker bulkhead.  It is about two feet long, and extends from the the
underside of the cockpit sole to about one and half inches above the hull.
Lying on the floor of the cockpit locker, I could just barely touch the
stuffing box with the fingers of one hand, and hanging upside down into the
locker, I could get one hand on the transmission linkage of the engine. That
was it.  I did not think this adequate or safe, so I went for the sole access
panel. Once I put in the beam athwartships aft of the hatch, and sealed the
edge of the laminate with thinned epoxy, I do not think I compromised the
strength of the sole.
  I know I've been outspoken on this point, but I think its very  important
for safety reasons.
  Hope this helps,
  Lee Trachtenberg
  Stargazer #255