[alberg30] Re: Props

Thomas Parks parks24 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 21:02:06 PST 1999

From: "Thomas Parks" <parks24 at hotmail.com>

On TRADEWINDS the engine had been replaced before we bought her  with a
Westerbeke 20B which is rated at 18HP. We have a 3 blade 13X9 prop with
a 7/8 bronze shaft. I have not run mine over 2500 RPM and can run at 6
knots on Lake Michigan in 2 to 4 foot waves. I don't know what kind of
fuel economy it gets for sure but can tell you that when we came over
from Milwaukee to South Haven last summer we had to run the engine for
five hours due to no wind. I also used it the rest of the summer going
in and out of South Haven sailing on the same tank of fuel. It takes
about 30 minutes to go out or in, depending on how long we have to wait
at the drawbridge. We probably made ten trips out plus a couple of joy
rides around the harbor for a couple of hours. I don't know what this
all adds up to but I took 3.4 gallons of diesel when I filled for the
winter. I guess i'm saying I think we got pretty good fuel economy.
Hope this will help in deciding what to do,
Tom Parks
TRADEWINDS #48