[alberg30] Re: Sailing around PEI

Matthew Wynn mattwynn at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 10 16:54:15 PST 1999

From: Matthew Wynn <mattwynn at ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi everybody,
  My computer has been out of commision for about two weeks so I've been
catching up on the Alberg list. By recent reports it's a little slow so
I'm adding to comments on cruising up here on the Canadian East Coast.
Ken is in Charlottetown on the North side of the Northumberland Strait
and I'm on the south side just east of Pictou Hbr with my mooring in
Merigomish Hbr about 60 mi from Charlottetown. The Northumberland Strait
is a great place to cruise. Jacque's encounter with fog is more like
winning the lottery. Average fog days is 4/mo. according to the sailing
directions and from my experience that is correct. However those four
days always occur when you want to go somewhere - like in to
Charlottetown Harbour Eh. Our Jul - Aug air temp is about 72F with
nights about 60F. The water temp on the beaches and harbours can reach
high 60's. In front of my place last summer it reached a high of about
72F. We average 2 days/mo lightning and thunder for July - Aug with an
annual total of 5 days on average. Twelve days/mo on average for rain. I
think it falls mostly at night or when you're not paying attention.(the
rum is very good here if it's raining) Everyone says we're so far away
from everywhere but we think it's them. In nautical miles Baltimore -
1,142,  Boston - 617, Portland ME - 577,  Montreal - 708, Bermuda - 913.
Many sailors take one season to get here leaving their boats in a
boatyard for the winter and making the return trip the following year.
This allows them to avoid rushing and sailing home against the
prevailing winds during hurricane season.
 The trip around PEI is about 500 miles and there is a race every couple
of years. Cruising wise there are very few harbours if any that can
accomodate sailboats on the North side of PEI. There are a number on the
east end of PEI and on the south side you have Charlottetown and
Summerside.
 I have never cruised the Bras D'Ors. I have driven around them and
eveybody I have talked to recommends them highly. The easiest access is
through the St Peter's Canal. Once inside you are sailing in a virtual
inland sea that is pretty well fog free. Many boats from my area make an
annual pilgrimage to the area.
 The Atlantic Coast is much more challenging navigation. Halifax
averages 17 days of fog in July and that is typical all the way up the
Atlantic Coast. The Atlantic Coast also has some very rocky areas as in
shoals. The water temperature tends to remain bone chilling cold - in
the 50's even in the middle of summer. Warmer spots are found at the
mouth of some rivers. Like Ken said the Labrador current keeps things
chilled and foggy.
  It is nice to think about sailing to escape March in the Maritimes.
Just west of here they had 60 cm of snow on Monday - that's two feet
(without the drifts). We were 'luckier' with mostly freezing rain and
rain - at least you don't have to dig it.

	Happy Sailing
	Matthew Wynn, Tazar #424
	Black Hall Gut, N.S.