[alberg30] Re: mast step organizer

Chester & Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Thu Mar 18 19:03:40 PST 1999

Several years ago I designed and had made, a custom stainless steel mast
plate for organizing halyards which did not involved drilling any holes in
the deck (at the mast).  The attached drawing illustrates its construction.
The raised flange plus the distance to the center line of turning block axle
permits the halyards to clear the doghouse roof.  Three line organizers are
through bolted to the forward edge of both sides of the doghouse roof (at an
angle to the fore-aft center line) and allows the halyards to be brought
back to the cockpit.  I believe the version with the 90 degree turns is a
better arrangement because it permits "stand-up" blocks to be bolted to the
flange which in turns allows one to avoid have them "flopping" around when
not under tension.

It was made around 1989 and cost about $90. It has work well and does not
compromise the mast to deck connection.

Chet Koop