[alberg30] Re: Motor mounts, insurance coverage

Marjorie Goettle mgoettle at erols.com
Fri Mar 19 13:01:30 PST 1999

From: Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com>

Paul,

Sorry to be so tardy, but have been in Arizona for a few weeks.

We have a Yanmar 2gm which the previous owner installed in '81.  He left
it mounted on the old Atomic 4 mounts.  During our first hard blow with
the boat, in '83, the shaft broke, which Cutts and Case, who towed us
in, blamed on the mounts.  We replaced then with Yanmar mounts which
were totally satisfactory until '95, when the right front mount
collapsed after over a 1000 miles of motoring down the ICW.  We replaced
all of the mounts then. Our diesel mechanic, who is an independent,
recommends Yanmar mounts highly.  They are expensive, but much less than
replacing shafts and other problems from a shifting motor.

On insurance, we also recommend Boat US.  We changed to them after other
companies we contacted would not even talk to us about Bahamas coverage
for an A30. BoatUS covered us in '96 for $100 for up to a year in the
Bahamas/Turks/Cacaos.  We had to have a survey for them. They told us
that for a boat such as the Alberg, Bahamas riders are issued on a case
by case basis.  They said again this summer that based on our excellant
'96 survey, they would continue to issue us riders as needed.  Their
coverage is exactly what Gordon White reports -- just the Chesapeake,
but riders have been easy to get and not expensive. We call the day
before leaving the Chesapeake to add the rider and again on the day we
return to remove the rider.  Most costs have been nominal. Our rider for
3 months in Maine/New England (and yes, Gordon, lousy Delaware Bay) this
summer totaled $39.  The low cost exception was Florida, which was well
over a hundred dollars, but after experiencing the ICW down there, I do
not blame them.  We have not had any boat claims, but when I fell from a
dock in Staurt FL and landed on my back on the genoa block on the toe
rail, they paid the extra medical expenses not covered by my regular
medical insurance -- about $800.  I was impressed, as Boat US called
several times after we were home to ask if we had gotten any more bills
that BC/BS questioned.  The ambulance bill was a classic managed care
fiasco, with BC/BS Pa not talking to BC/BS Fla. and thus the bill went
to collection before we returned.  The BoatUS agent told us to forget
about BC/BS and let them pay it -- impressive.

Marjorie Goettle, Jubilant #435