[alberg30] Re: Upgrading my Alberg30

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sat Mar 20 11:22:30 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Lee:

    I re-wired the original port & starboard running lights on the
cabin, but as they get blanketed by the genny I now use one of those
single unit red/green lights on the bow pulpit. On the side lights, as a
backup, I used the sleeve out of one of those modern auto headlight
bulbs. It just fit the casting and made rebuilding the lights easy.

    Good to replace the masthead sheave. As you say, when the halyard
jumps the sheave it is always at the worst possible time, like in 40
knots and jams halfway down, as happened to me with a drawbridge on my
lee that would not open. It was Seatow time! I also did away with the
wire and use a rope halyard I like a lot better.

    I replaced my old fuse-type panel with breakers, which are so much
better. I had gone through a long process of locating the proper fuse
holders to replace bad ones but fuses just got to be too much a problem.
Would corrode and had other problems. It was easier to do the whole job
at once than do it twice, also I needed breakers for the bilge pump, the
vhf, the instruments, the GPS, the running lights, steaming light, the
autopilot, the spotlight, interior lights, etc. that the old panel would
not handle. My boat still had the old zip cord wiring that had to go. I
also re-wired my batteries using a lot shorter cables.  I had wired my
old schooner years ago so had some practice. I later re-wired a 125 ft
schooner which REALLY gave me some practice with inverters and all the
rest.
                        - Gordon A-275