[alberg30] Re: Motor mounts

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Mar 21 01:48:07 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

   What kind of thrust bearing? Presumably a tapered roller bearing,
sealed to keep out salt water. I have the Timken catalogs - any specific
suggestions?  I assume the bearing has some kind of  sleeve that is
either keyed to the shaft or set-screwed to it and has a flange that
attaches to the crossmember. Or is there a West Marine thrust bearing?
What did you use? The set screw or whatever is going to be taking the
whole thrust of the engine, in forward and reverse - do you use two
tapered rollers back to back? I know this is not the QE-II but there
will be a fair amount of force there. If you machine a groove in the
shaft you set up a stress riser... Details? For a CV/U-joint you could
use rubber donuts like the Indy cars or a piece of rubber fabric bolted
to a pair of flanges.
                                            - Gordon White A-275