[alberg30] Re: Diesel Conversion

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Mar 21 07:54:46 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Mr. Haggart:
    I have an A-30 with a Westerbeke 21 installed. I did not do the job,
but to get at it the prior owner put in a Bomar hatch, 18x18" in the
forward end of the cockpit sole. Even so, getting at the oil filter is a
job and the raw water pump impeller is an all-day. The air cleaner is a
remove-the-engine, i.e. permanent installation. But I like the diesel, I
run a 13 x 11 3-blade (and there are different thoughts on 2 vs 3 blade
wheels) The 13" may be a mite large for the opening in the rudder. I get
all the power I can use and good reliability except for a problem last
summer with the wiring. The original ternplate fuel tank was replaced
with an 11-gal plastic tank. I would have put in a larger tank or (as I
did) an auxiliary tank in case of stoppage in the fuel system. I am not
terribly happy with the engine mounts and get some vibration, but
all-in-all I like it.
                            - Gordon White A-275