[alberg30] Re: Motor mounts

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 14:58:30 PST 1999

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

Hi Russ
No, I haven't tried it and I bow to your experience and an obviously well-
executed traditional installation.
This idea really transmits the force to the hull in the same way, via
atachment to  port and starboard sides of the hull, it just does it before it
gets to the engine, so the engine is not involved in the transmission of
driving forces to the hull. With the traditional arrangement, that is, with
the engine in the thrust train, engine vibration is transmitted along with
thrust. Imagine you were pushing somthing with a vibrator in your palm. That's
the reason for the soft engine mounts, which attempt to dampen the high
frequency vibration of the engine while still transmitting thrust to the hull.
This means they can only be so soft and have to be designed to transmit
horizontal force. My idea seperates the two functions and allows you to design
the engine mounts for maximum vibration isolation.
It would do it over less length than the long engine beds, because there is
less room behind the engine, but I think the flange could be made strong
enough and attached well enough. As George said, it's not the QE II.
If you have a quality traditional mounting, you wouldn't even think about
doing this. I don't, so I thought I'd go a little further while in the design
stage.
Regards,
Paul
Ashwagh #23