[alberg30] Re: slab reefing

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Mon Mar 22 22:11:03 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Lee. You have more stuff on your boom than I do.  I have a stainles strap (
eye) on the port side.  Line is tied there, goes up to reef hole, back to
block ( located so that the pull is down, and back at about a 45 degree angle)
then forward, lead through an eye strap forward to a cleat.  I have a small
winch forward on the boom to get things really tight.  We drop the maim
halyard just enough to get the reef clew on a hook.  first reef on staboard
hook, 2nd on the port hook.  The 2nd reef block on the boom is a little
forward of the first reef, led forward along the boom to a cleat.  Either line
may be put on the winch.  My flatening reef is on the port side, with a triple
block arrangement forward on the boom. It takes less than a minute ) about 30
sec) for a good crew to put in the flattening reef.
Incidently, when I first joined the Chesapeke Bay Alberb 30 association in the
fall of 1987, we went downthere around Christmas time.  Was well received.  I
had a heated disscussion with those folks becaiuse of my flatening reef.
(first thing I had my sailmaker do).  At the time it was forbiden for class
use.  Reason, to keep things low cost.  I told them that the cost of a reef
cringle, a block and a cleat would enable them to improve sail shape on a
windy day.  Had an argument about it.  Next spring when the handbook came out,
a flatening reef was approved for the first time.So there