[alberg30] Re: Foam Cushions

Marjorie Goettle mgoettle at erols.com
Tue Mar 23 12:36:38 PST 1999

From: Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com>

We replaced our settee cushions several years ago with 5" closed cell
foam enclosed in zippered upholstery fabric like is used for sofas, etc.
We spray it with scotch guard for water repellancy.  We had the job done
by a shop nearby who took our old 4" open cell cushions as templates.
The extra inch thickness makes a big difference in comfort.  The back
cushions are 2 1/2" thick to allow more sleeping space.  We had them put
a strip of velco on the back so that they will stay in place in a sea.

Since we got the cushions, I have taken to sleeping on a settee, as they
are so comfortable.  Maybe George never leaves the hatches open when
away in the dinghy and had a t-storm douse everything, or has been
pooped with the hatches open.  As we have done such things, we like
closed cell instead of open.

Marjorie, Jubilant #435