[alberg30] Re: flattening reef

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 12:56:32 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

George, I have seen no name on my out haul adjuster.  There is a wire with a
shackle that attaches to the outhaul of the sail.  The wire runs aft to an
internal block,located in the boom, just forward of the end fitting, then
forward inside  the boom.  I'd have to take the boom apart to see the workings
of it, but it seems there would have to be some sort of screw and threaded
rod, or something like that inside.  It takes about 7 turns to get one inch of
travel at the leach.  But you always have enough mechanical advantage to make
it move.  The fitting is about 5" or 6" long, with a little handle that snaps
up into the fitting. The handle is about 4" long, and looks like cast
aluminum. It pulls down to crank, and snaps back into place when you are
finished.  Nothing to foul anything.  I'm quite fond of it.  I have one of
those vang fittings on the boom that are two plates, curved to fit the boom,
and fit into the sail track at the top.  I ran a stainless screw into the boom
on each side to keep it from going forward.  There is a heavy duty strap about
2 1/2 "' wide that goes through the plates, with a D ring under it to attach
the vang to.  I have my plates quite far back  (about at the aft end of the
cabin) and a 4 part tackle, so it's not too hard to trim it down, and it
releases  UP so you can flip it hard and release it.  I like things that
release up.  Was in a boat once that got in a collision because of a main that
would only release down and that cleat was in the water. (Grampion...   ugh)
We all have our ideas of what works best.  I've been sailing for 28 years, so
I've worked out some ideas of what works well for me.  If it ever quits
working, I will rig a 4 part tackle inside the boom that exits through the
slot that is there and a clam cleat to adjust it.  Russ