[alberg30] Re: cutlass bearing replacement

JANET LEMBO jlsasha at erols.com
Wed Mar 31 16:28:31 PST 1999

From: JANET LEMBO <jlsasha at erols.com>

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>
>
> Joel,
>
> I replaced the cutless bearing a couple years ago.  Remove the prop.
> Bruce Rankin has a home-made prop puller.  Then take out the two
> bolts holding the casting on the aft end of the stern tube.  Then
> *unscrew* the casting from the stern tube and slide it off the
> end of the shaft.
>
> I took (actually, Mike Lehman did it for me) the casting to a shop
> where the old bearing was pressed out and a new one pressed in.
>
> I was able to take a look at the shaft without removing it while
> the casting was off.
>
>  - George
>
> > JANET LEMBO said:
> >
> > Hi yall, I have a few questions maybe I can get some help with, I have
> > hull #449 1970 . I need to change out the cutlass bearing and redo the
> > packing gland. Does anyone know the best way to get the bearing out? I
> > will be pulling out the shaft for inspection (bronz) and checking the
> > prop. The prop is 13/8 with marks 9 and 7 . Your guess is as good as
> > mine which it is. Any help will surely be appreciated. thanks joel .
>
> --
>   George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/

> If you like orange and blue, then you will love our new web site!
> http://www.onelist.com
> Onelist: Fostering connections and information exchange
Thanks George, If you have a diagram of the drive assy, I shure would
appreciate looking at it Fax (at work) 804-861-0111. I know this is not
complicated I just like to put it all together in my head.. I don't
know  what kind of condition the shaft is in. It seems stainless is the
rule now. Thanks again, I know I will get around to joining the assn.
soon. I can only be in so many things.. Joel