[alberg30] More Bow Chocks- but newer

Wed May 5 05:55:45 PDT 1999

Joe,

I don't think you can melt the aluminum with a standard propane torch,
but you do want to be careful of the fiberglass.  My standard
recommendation for stuck bolts in aluminum is as follows:
	1. apply penetrating oil
	2. strike the bolt with a hammer
	3. apply penetrating oil
	4. go home and have a beer and give the penetrating oil a
	   chance to work.
	5. apply penetrating oil
	6. heat the metal surrounding the bolt with a propane torch.
	   Remember, heat makes things expand.  You want to make
	   the hole bigger, not the bolt.
	7. Try to turn the bolt with a hand-impact driver.  This
	   is an impact wrench driven by an ordinary hammer.
	   Use a 3 or 4 pound hammer.
	8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 several times.  An aluminum casting
	   can take a lot of heat.
	9. Let cool a bit.  Start again at step 3.

Good luck.  The biggest problem is that aluminum oxide (that white
stuff you see when you take it apart) is bigger than aluminum and
it really jams stuff together.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/