[alberg30] 2" rope rub rail

Tue May 25 06:16:59 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

I had the gasket blow at the exhaust flange with the old vertical
standpipe exhaust on our old A-30.   In removing it the elbow sheered,
no big deal, but it is and should be BLACK IRON NOT GALVANIZED pipe.
The heat of the exhaust will release toxic nasties into the boat's
interior from galvanized pipe so use black iron available at most
plumbing stores.

Also do not apply twisting motion to the stand pipe as it is soldered
together and the pipe will rotate and sheer the solder.   Put a pipe
wrench on it to prevent turning while screwing off/on the old/new iron
elbow.

Just as a note our MK1 A37 with the Westerbeke 4-107 has the same
exhaust arrangement as our old A-30.

J B, Sunstone KC-65