new email address and change of server

Tue May 25 06:22:21 PDT 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Peter:

    I just installed an Edson wheel on my Alberg. The early boats (mine
is # 275) had the fiberglass tube between the bottom of the boat and the
cockpit that the rudderpost rides in. I think later boats had a stuffing
box there. Anyway, when wheel steering is installed the tube has to be
cut to install the quadrant on the rudderpost. The top of the tube would
be a little above the waterline, I think, but not enough above it to
handle any kind of waves. Also, the rudderpost is going to exert side
thrust on the tube, if only a little, so Edson specifies a stuffing box
be installed.
    I gather your boat does not have a stuffing box there? It is
probably the largest part of installing the wheel, so might be left off
in a cheap job.
    I doubt this is a structural problem.
    I do not know if you can get a temporary fix to hold with glass and
epoxy while in the water, but worth a try.
                                - Gordon White