[alberg30] sandblasting hulls

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue May 11 12:35:13 PDT 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Guys,
     Several of you advised against sandblasting the hull when I was
considering it a few months back. That advice persuaded me not to
sandblast. I power-washed instead, doing the entire hull in 4 1/2 hours
about 99% clean.

    This week owners of boats adjacent to me in the yard were regretting
having had their boats blasted. Both had numbers of spots in the gelcoat
eaten through and one had already had a new and very expensive barrier
coat applied and the other was facing that - at a cost almost half the
present value of an Alberg.

    Sandblasting may have a place on steel hulls and perhaps using
walnut hulls or other soft media would be ok, but I am glad I did not
have my hull sandblasted.

                                - Gordon White A-275