[alberg30] Re: Cruise to DC and seeing the tourist sights

Marjorie Goettle mgoettle at erols.com
Wed May 5 08:35:15 PDT 1999

From: Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com>

For those that are going to Washington, I will relate our experiences in
the summer of '97.  We anchored in Washington Channel for 4 days and had
a wonderful time.  No, it was not the best anchorage in the world, but
it was tolerable.  We held through a moderate t-storm on our Bruce. The
tourist boats came through, but slowly and "politely".  Our biggest
annoyance was "helicopter 1" which flew over so low each morning, first
out and then in again, that it seemed certain that it would take the
mast off.  That freaked out our 2 cats so much that they retreated to
the anchor well.  We were more intriged in trying to recognize who was
aboard, but never did see.  We had worried about security, but the
police were just downriver, which seemed to deter any trouble.  Besides
the obvious avoidance of slip fees, we chose anchoring because of the
heat.  Those in the marina sweltered while we caught a breeze.  If the
Alberg had opening ports, we probably would have chosen the marina.

We loved the sightseeing!  We spent 3 days in the Smithsonian and still
did not get enough!  The heat finally drove us back down river, though.

Marjorie Goettle  Jubilant #435