[alberg30] Support Beam

Miabarchet at aol.com Miabarchet at aol.com
Sat Nov 6 07:46:08 PST 1999

From: Miabarchet at aol.com

After all the discussion about the support beam I have become concerned .
Barchetta Mia was built in 1974, hull # 565.  I was told that Albergs of that
vintage had a metal beam under the liner.  Does anyone know if this is
correct. If not I would think the liner would need to be cut away to make the
repair, making for a a ugly job.

Also this is the first I am winter storing with the mast up.  I thought about
relieving some of the tension in the rigging but decided it wasn't necessary
since the coefficeint of expansion of the aluminium mast is greater  than
that of the rigging. This would cause the mast to shrink in lenght more than
the rigging thus relieving some of the tension.

When I tune the rigging in the spring I use a tension gauge and tighten the
forestay and  upper and lower shrouds to 15% of their  breaking strength . I
would appreciate other comments .

                             Jim Allocco