[alberg30] Jammed main halyard solution

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 04:53:28 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Dick,
When I bought Stargazer, 1967 #255, alot of her gear was original, and worn,
and scary!.... The Main halyard sheave was the original composite material
one, and wobbly and worn, and the retaining plates were badly pittted and
oxidised, and wobbly, and there was more than  enough room for the meathook
laden, wire halyard that did not reach the deck, to jump that sheave and jam.
I got a qoute from a reputable Annapolis rigger to replace the parts in
anodized aluminum for about 3oo bucks. In the sailing forum chat room,
someone told me about Tartan Yachts in Ohio, and that the T27 had a very
similar sheave arrangement, and they still made replacement parts. One phone
call got me a qoute of 100 bucks or so for an industrial delrin type sheave
of the exact Alberg 30 dimensions, new retaining plates, the bolt, and the
compression tube.  I mailed everything I had to Joe for templates. The parts
were beautifuly made.  I opted to forgo the annodizing, because on thse parts
it gets worn off anyway, and with anual maintaince (grease) it should be OK,
and I got the retaining plates made in double the original thickness, and
ground out the mast slot accordingly. (Very slowly and carefull!!!!)
I don't have the # with me here, but if you contact Tartan Yachts, and then
ask for the service dept. I spoke to a fellow named Joe, who made the parts.
Dealing with people in the Midwest is usualy a pleasure.
I changed the meathook laden wire halyard with a StaSet double braid one. I
made the new halyard long enough so the shackle could reach the deck, or the
water.  I never liked that A30 Halyard that could not reach the deck-too easy
to lose hold of when the boat is knocking around, and then you can't use the
main halyard in an emergency for something else, without having to tie
another line to the shackle to lengthen the halyard.
Hope this helps, Dick. Love your stories!!
Lee
Stargazer #255