[alberg30] Jammed main halyard

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Thu Nov 11 18:50:43 PST 1999

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

Thanks for all the imput on the jammed halyard issue.Today played hookey
from work and motored up bayou lafourche for three hours where I work
and lifted the mast off in an hours time,pays to have a free cherry
picker and operator to boot.Sheave froze solid with rust,didn't get a
very close look at the rest of the hardware had to make the return trip
back to marina near the gulf arriving well after dark.Tomorrow heck I'll
take the rest of the week off and have a long weekend and start buffing
off old paint and have a new back stay made to replace the one I have
now with those insulators on it.Someone on the told me stay was used for
antenna,well I gonna get rid of that pain in the butt hanging my topping
lift every time I sail.Gonna get the yard machinist to turn a new
stainless sheave for wire for now.If I could get my hands on a rope
winch pretty quick I would have liked to make the transition.New orleans
is the closest place where sail shops are located and thats an hour and
a halfs drive.Are winches sized by cat head diameters,what size winch
would be right for my boat.The winch I use for hoisting the head sails
is small about 2 1/2 inch diameter drum,but strong enough to hoist me up
and I weigh 160.Some time back someone on the list mentioned the
tickness of the metal in the mast well mines is heavy,didn't put a mic
to it but looks 1/8"or better wall thickness,check it tomorrow.Now
everyone can ubderstand why cabin sags and have to keep cutting the tops
off the v-berth doors.Ha!Ha!Hey Lee you say you enjoy my stories,my wife
keeps telling me she's gonna get a call form some one down in Puerto
Rico or someplace telling her they found my boat adrift with onone
aboard.Stories ,brother I worked in the middle east for 9 years I could
keep you in stiches but thats not an A-30 related subject.Hey gang once
again thanks for the imput,and I'll let ya'll know how things turned out
and see what kinds of new adventures await.
Still "High Spirits"#191 Galliano,La.        Dick Fillinich