[alberg30] Re: slab reefing and headsail furling

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Mon Nov 1 07:16:14 PST 1999

From: John Birch <sunstone at idirect.com>

Bob;
"I found that I could pull in the reef without a tackle using
the halyard trick of pulling sideways on the line after taking all the
slack out of it. (There must be a name for that, but I don't know it.)"

It is called "sweating" a line or halyard.

Caio,

John

Bob Johns wrote:

> From: Bob Johns <bobjns at nais.com>
>
> >From: ljsaund at tbaytel.net
> >
> >I would be interested in hearing any ideas to expedite the changeover from
> >roller reefing to slab reefing on our Alberg30 (#395).
>
> This is to supplement the good advice given by Russ:
>
> When  we bought Wind Call (#397) the mainsail had a single jiffy reef point
> at the 1 1/2  reef position (ie: half way between the locations for the
> first and second reefs). It proved so satisfactory that when we replaced
> the sails we had the first reef installed in the same place and added a
> second one above where the second one would normally be. (I don't remember
> ever  using the second one, and we used to average 900 to 1000 miles per
> cruise).
>
> I never found a satisfactory tack hook , and so tied  the tack down with a
> short line. I found that I could pull in the reef without a tackle using
> the halyard trick of pulling sideways on the line after taking all the
> slack out of it. (There must be a name for that, but I don't know it.)
>
> Typically, on a beat, our speed would drop from 5.5 kts to 5 kts during the
> reefing process and return to 5.5 kts with the reef in. This using the
> furling jib.
>
> Regards,
>         Bob Johns, Wind Call, #387

Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at ONElist.
For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click below.