[alberg30] A-30 Cradles

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Tue Nov 2 06:01:31 PST 1999

Guy;
How ya doin'?

The only advantage to having 6 or 8 pads is in the Spring when you can
lower half, staggered, and  paint under them.  This advantage is not to
be underestimated as the paint has an opportunity to cure properly and
saves time on the crane or travel lift.   On a new cradle I would go
with a minimum of 6 plus the forefoot, all adjustable, or if you want to
save money and always use a crane, go with jack stands, 7 minimum
including the forefoot and put the keel on 4 x 8s or 4 x 6s oriented
athwart the keel.  Chain the stands together and voilà.

You are right, the load should be 100% on the keel and not the pads,
well maybe there is some load on the forefoot but nowhere else.

John