[alberg30] Re: slab reefing and headsail furling

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Nov 2 14:43:25 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Sanders, and Bob, and friends,
Stargazer came with an old main........looked very old!!!!  It had no reef
points whatsoever, as was torn across from luff to leach 1/3 down from the
head of the sail.  Even above the tear, the dacron was so worn that there
were moth-like holes in the panels, from UV expolsure, and chaffe, I'm sure.
Sails to me are holy things, so even though I knew I'd replace this old main,
I still repaired it, to keep as a spare.

At the 98 Atlantic City Sail on ly show, I went to every sailmaker and got a
qoute on a main with two reef  point rows.  The expensive lofts offered sale
'Boat Show Prices" that were over two grand, from Shore, etc. North had two
qoutes-the over 2 grand price, and their economy price, about 1500.00, from
their Eastern lofts. These are in the far east, and I don't mean Montauk.
Ditto for Quantum.  Lee sails, made in Hong Kong, gave me a qoute  of a sail
delivered, for about 900.00.  I had no plans to race Stargazer, and I only
wanted a strong cruising main, with a reasonable sail shape, so I went with
Lee sails.  The sail looks good, stretched out on the lawn-very nice
workmanship on the 'corners' and reef lines, leach and luff liines, tell
tales sewed into the leach, batten pockets are strongly sewed, etc.  Can't
report on shape yet, as I didn't get a chance to use it yet!!  The only
problem is that the reefs lines are too low, and too close together- I didn't
think it would be necessary to specify exactly where I wanted the two reefs
put in- when ordering a cruising main with two reefs, I thought the placement
of them was fairly standard-I guess not!!!  But aside from that, the main
looks good, and was hundreds less than other quoted mains.  The importer is
named Cal, and he is in Patchogue, on LI. You can get his phone # from the
yellow pages, to call him for a quote.  He, and his wife are very nice.  If
you do speak to him, say hi to him for me!! If you're buying a whole set of
sails, you will probably get a 'free' headsail, relatively speaking, by going
with Lee.
My freinds on Sea Gal, #248, went with a fairly new NJ loft for their new
main. I think they spent about 1500.00, and it is a beautiful sail, with a
full length batten up on top, that spreads the additional roach. The damn
thing hits the backstay with every tack or jibe, but I guess in light air, it
gives you that added few square inches of sail area aloft that could make the
difference if you are racing.  I can email Gary Schmitt and get the name of
the loft if you are interested.
Back in 1990, I got a whole set of sails for my Alberg 22 from the City
Island U/K loft.  it was a beautiful set of sails, and at a great boat show
price that was offered that year, was worth every penny.  We took good care
of them, and when we sold the boat in 98, they all still looked new, and had
great shape. and it was always fun to drive to City Island to pick them up!!
That would be my advice-go to the boat shows this winter, and get the best
boat show special you can, and buy alot of sails!!!!  Are they having the
Atlantic City Sail only show this year?  if so , that's the place to buy
sails for next season.
I love buying sails!!
Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer, #255 with a brand new Lee main in a bag in the attic!!