[alberg30] Re: slab reefing and headsail furling

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at mail.min.net
Tue Nov 2 16:59:06 PST 1999

From: "George Dinwiddie" <gdinwiddie at mail.min.net>

I recommend the full top batten, even if you're not increasing the
roach.  (In fact, our sail was built as a racing sail and has that
same annoying tendency to hang on the backstay.  I'm thinking of
getting it trimmed down.)

I also recommend the second reef.  We had that added last year after
a day in November when I'd wished I already had a second reef.  The
boat did fine, but I sailed on just the back third of the main to
keep her on her feet.  The gust that hit when I came out from under
the Bay Bridge put the portlight in the water.

 - George

> My freinds on Sea Gal, #248, went with a fairly new NJ loft for their new
> main. I think they spent about 1500.00, and it is a beautiful sail, with a
> full length batten up on top, that spreads the additional roach. The damn
> thing hits the backstay with every tack or jibe, but I guess in light air, it
> gives you that added few square inches of sail area aloft that could make the
> difference if you are racing.
 The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span,
          those hours spent in sailing.
 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30