[alberg30] New Alberg Owner Questions

Gavin Jefferies gj262 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 09:41:16 PST 1999

From: Gavin Jefferies <gj262 at yahoo.com>

Thanks Greg, I couldn't believe it myself but midway along the track it is now
twisted 30 degrees to port with the top and bottom still held in place at the
correct angle. On my rig there is one bolt at the very top of the track and the
rest look like screws. The wood that the track is screwed into is still firmly
in place, the middle screws are pulled out and twisted. I'll be going down to
the boat on monday to try and take it off myself.

As regards the incident I've asked the people I lent my boat to for more
details but they didn't even notice the damage. I'm not in the habit of lending
my boat to people but these are among the very few I would trust her with. They
are more used to sailing modern racing boats but I would have thought that the
Alberg 30 could more than match new boats for ruggedness/strength, one of the
reasons I bought her. Twisting the track I reckon could only happen if the
gooseneck locked somehow when tacking or gybing... the boom cannot go forward
past the shrouds and the force when going underway seems unlikely to cause such
damage... but if the gooseneck could lock or was in the habit of it I would
have noticed that when trimming the sails, so I'm stumped.

Anyway thanks for everyones advice, I'll let you know how I get on.
Gavin

=====