[alberg30] Tacking Angles

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Mon Nov 8 14:05:11 PST 1999

Well Bob, now that you ask ... the boat was reefed Q: How tight was the foot, was
the new clew bladed all the way back to reduce power and improve pointing?  Where
was the traveller?   What was the leach tension, was the leach standing up or
badly sagged?  Was the boat on her ear?  The main is tired, how tired?  Draft too
far aft?  Halyard tension? What were the leach ticklers doing, top one stalling
50%?

Jib was rolled, some times Sunstone points slightly better with one roll in the
Genoa? What was the wave action?  Head stay tension? Shrouds tension? Jib
ticklers drawing well? Track car at 45 - 60% sheet angle? How open was the leach?
Ticklers stalling evenly up the sail?  How old is the sail, draft too far back?
Halyard tension? Is the sail a deck sweeper or high cut and is the cloth any
good?

The cloth you say, well people don't realize it but bias stretch in cloth will
undo the best cut sail - THE CLOTH HAS TO BE STABLE that's why some sails cost
more than others ALL DACRON IS NOT THE SAME!!!!   There is $3.50 per yard Dacron
and there is $15.00 a yard Dacron AND IT 'AIN'T THE SAME THING, the expensive
stuff is far more stable and will have a much longer usable performance retaining
it's shape.

So the next time you hear of someone giving a great quote on a new sail, realize
it is likely a lower quality cloth.

Wind instruments won't make your boat point better, good sails properly set
will.    Unless you have a neck problem I wouldn't bother with them.   Wool on
the shrouds, a compass and a knot meter is all you need.

You have identified some of the problems you had, in flat water I've had maybe 35
- 40o but most times it is more like 40 - 45o  it depends on the conditions.

Cheers,

John