[alberg30] PBS Program

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Nov 9 07:17:50 PST 1999

From: "George Dinwiddie" <gdinwiddie at min.net>

Dick

> From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>
>
> Happen to catch light houses of the east coast saturday on
> pbs,and there
> was a good portion of the program dedicated to the Chesapeake.The Cape
> Henry and especially the Thomas Point caught my attention.I'm
> sure some
> of you A-30 sailors are familiar with these two lights.If the rock
> jettys on north and south of light are for protection from
> ice then its
> some serious ice.Does the Chesapeake freeze up that solid in
> the winter?

It can, though it often doesn't.  The last time the upper
Magothy River froze thick enough to walk across was six
years ago.  In the winter of 1976 (I think it was) the
whole bay froze.  They had to send ice-breakers to free
watermen caught in the ice or caught in port.  A friend
of mine was living aboard in Annapolis.  He said the ice
was really handy for setting up his sawhorses, but the
inside of the boat never thawed out.

> Ya'll have a mild winter and early spring.

Thanks, I hope so.

 - George