[alberg30] Prop size for Atomic 4

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 15 21:36:38 PST 1999

From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>

 Jim Davis wrote:

>13x7 two blade is the stock prop.  While a smaller prop will give you more
>RPM's and more horsepower, you will loose the push from the larger
diameter.
>Quite a few of us have tried different props to get the RPM's up, but it
>seems most have returned to the 13x7.  I tried a couple combinations on Isa
>Lei and for flat water the smaller size worked well.  However when I had to
>power into any sea, the smaller diameter just lacked the push.  This isn't
>scientific, just observations.

Jim... That doesn't sound right.  If you pour more power into the water it
should push the boat harder/faster.  Unless you generate more cavitation or
turbulence than thrust?  Of course, what I don't know about props is vast.
I too, have the 13 X 7 which chugs along nicely behind an Atomic 4.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181