[alberg30] Name change?

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 06:24:59 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Thom,
Sailors can be a superstitious lot, their fates and destinies determined by
the vagaries of the seas, and mermaids they meet along the way. It seems only
natural that in their inability to control their environment they would
develop their own explanations of why their lives were as they were.

Don't sail on a boat named 'Kitty Poo', though.  It's almost as bad as the
Bristol 27 I saw once, kept in total dissaray by two slobs, named 'Breaking
Wind'.

I've read a couple of tongue in cheek articles about rituals involving safe
name changing, that will appease Triton and Aoleus. Basicaly, you remove any
and all traces of the old boat name from the boat-letters on the hull,
paperwork in the cabin, etc.  Let the boat sit 'fallow' for 3 months, then
have a big ceremony to rename the boat, and pour champagne, (or Bass Ale, if
that is more dear to your heart) into the sea to appease the god's.  Do it,if
it will make you feel better.  If I was Triton, I wouldn't want a boat named
Kitty Poo sailing on my ocean, so I think anything you do will be
appreciated!!!!  :)

Enjoy,
Lee
Stargazer #255

(f you are wondering where we got our name from, here is the story;
Rona and I, besides being stargazers, loving the constellations, are avid
Star Trek fans.  We were watching an episode of Next Generation-the one in
which Picard and Riker find Scotty, who had saved his own life by putting
himself in the transporter beam of his wrecked ship, hoping someone would
find him before the ship's power ran out.  Revived, and learning about the
new Enterprise and 100 years of new technology, he obviously became depressed
at lost friends, and lost time, and he had the old Enterprise' bridge
simulated in the holodeck, and got drunk on scotch.  Picard joined him, and
as the two reminisced about their early ships and commands, Picard explained
that his first command had been the 'Stargazer'.  I knew right then, that my
next boat was to have that name. About a year later, we found #255 at the
Long Island Maritime Museum in Sayville, NY.  She had been donated by a
fellow who had bought her with plans to modify her into a singlehanded, blue
water cruiser, and was going to sail the world.  Unfortunately, he ran out of
steam and cash, and had to abandon the project, his modifications only partly
completed.
Her name was Aui Quoay, or something like that, which was explained to me
that it was french for 'the dock', and a play on a former owner's wife's
name, Kay.  Well, like Kitty Poo, that name had to go!!!!  Lucky thing we had
a name all lined up already!!!)