[alberg30] Traveler

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 22:47:21 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Dick, that thing sounds like junk.  I can tell you about my traveler, a
Shaefer.  They come in different sizes.  I put mine across the top of the
cockpit verticle bulkhead, in front of the lazarette hatch, almost at he
edge.  A bit of a bother geting the bolts in from the lazarette, but doable.
You also need a car, and fiddle block, and some sort of block and tackle
system, at least 3 part,  (bigger blocks a plus)and a decent size to grab,
and of course cleats of some sort to hold the adjustment.  There are better
units than the Schaefer, like Harken, with balls to run on an all, ( read
much more expensive) but this one works.  Look in a West Marine,  or Boats US
cataloge, for examples, or ask for some local advice. I fing that around
here, West has a better selection, althought I bought mine, 12 years ago ,at
Boat US. There are pictures.
Make it full width, from coaming to coaming.
I do not suggest a cabin top mount, not with that big main and mainsail,
unless you have arms like a gorilla.  It will be hard enough to trim it in
the center , in strong wind, at the rear position.
For most normal sailing the car is centered on the traveler,  In heavy winds,
let it down to de-power, and cut heeling.  The boat points better with it
centered, you'll be amazed.  Also, in very light winds, move the car all the
way to weather, and let the main sheets out til the boom is centered.  That
take the pull off the leech, and opens up the sail a little, and points
better that way.  You'll have a few hundred dollars invested, but     you' ll
wonder how you sailed with out it